What is a Follicular Unit Excision Hair Transplant?
Did you know that nearly 50 million men and 30 million women in the U.S. alone suffer from male/female pattern baldness or thinning hair? If you’re unhappy with your hair loss, you’re not alone. And there are much better options today than the bad toupees and spray-on hair your parents might have tried!
At Texas Facial Aesthetics, we are proud to offer Follicular Unit Excision (FUE) as a less-invasive hair transplant solution that provides truly natural results.
The system uses no scalpel, no stitches, and leaves no linear scar across the back of your head (so no Frankenstein look!). Instead, FUE is a sophisticated surgical procedure that harvests individual hair follicles from the back of your head (the donor area) and implants them in thinning and balding areas.
The result is a discrete, natural-looking hair transplant solution.
What is FUE?
FUE has been called a “revolutionary” hair transplant technique because it doesn’t require harvesting a long strip of hair or leave unsightly linear scarring. FUE can be performed with a variety of different hair transplant machines (we have both the WAW by Devroye and NeoGraft devices) that move individual hair follicles in naturally occurring groups of 1–4 hairs from the donor area to the balding area.
For people who wear their hair short, the strip harvest method was undesirable, because it left a noticeable scar around the back of the head. But FUE leaves no linear scar, meaning that you can wear your hair short or long for a completely natural look.
There’s very little discomfort during or after the procedure, and minimal down time. Plus, the new hair is your hair, so it grows, cuts, washes, and behaves just like the rest of your hair.
At Texas Facial Aesthetics, we take pride in the artistic quality and natural presentation of our results. Our goal is to restore your confidence by restoring your hair.
Why choose FUE?
Some reasons we’ve chosen FUE in our practice for our patients include:
- Superior Results: FUE has natural-looking results that can be worn short or long for men or women. There’s no linear scarring on the back of the head (the donor area).
- Advanced Technology: FUE technology is the least-invasive hair transplant technology available.
- Gentle: Aside from some numbing medication, there’s little or no discomfort during the procedure. There’s no scalpel, no stitches, no staples, and no linear incision that takes time to heal.
- Quick Recovery: There’s very little down time involved with the procedure, and many patients return to normal activities within a few days as long as they are able to avoid strenuous activity and exercise.
- Effective: Over time, the new hair grows, cuts, washes, and wears just like the rest of your hair — because it is your hair. You can style and wear it however you wish.
How do I know if FUE is right for me?
Generally, FUE is a good fit if you are healthy, with mild to moderate hair loss, and have enough hair in the donor area to transplant to the thinning areas. The thicker and denser your hair is on the back and sides, the more available hair you have for a transplant session (or multiple sessions).
FUE is a good option for people who like to wear their hair short, those who might want the option to shave or buzz their head one day if needed, and people who want to cover existing scars from previous transplant procedures.
Of course, the best way to know if FUE is a good fit for you is to see a fellowship-trained hair transplant surgeon and discuss all of the various hair transplant options in detail.
Call us at (469) 362-6975 or CLICK HERE to email us and we will be in touch with you shortly to schedule your free consultation.
Matthew A. Richardson, MD
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Hair Restoration Surgery
Texas Facial Aesthetics